I had always planned a home birth for the delivery of my second baby but when i found out she was breech, I was told by the hospital this would be impossible and after an unsuccessful attempt at turning her (ECV) I was given no other option but to have a caesarean. I was distraught, I knew I could deliver this baby normally but was shocked that the hospital were so keen on c-section. They wouldn't let me leave without consenting to this even though I told them I wanted to explore my options. I was 38 weeks pregnant at this stage and if they had their way I would have had a c-section 1 week later but I knew baby wasn't ready and after careful thought and research I told them I wanted to wait and to cancel the caesarean. The majority of staff were not supportive of my choice so I began a quest to find an independent midwife.
Several phone calls later I found the wonderful Maya midwives, who happened to be experienced in vaginal breech birth and very keen to support me. I was overjoyed and it meant there was a greater chance I could have the home birth I so desperately wanted for my baby. I withdrew from NHS care and had regular visits from the midwives to check baby's heart rate etc. then it was just a waiting game...
My due date (20th September) came and went and then a week later there were still no labour signs. The midwives advised that I didn't do anything to augment the labour, such as acupuncture or reflexology because breech babies must come when they are ready if they are going to come at all. So I waited and waited. Friends and family were growing increasingly concerned and when I reached 42 weeks I decided to go to hospital for a scan and CTG monitoring to make sure everything was ok. The doctors said baby was doing really well and couldn't find anything at all wrong but would be happier if I'd have a c-section the next day. My instincts told me to wait a little longer and so I agreed to come back two days later for more CTG monitoring. In the meantime I began to prepare myself for the caesarean as it was becoming increasingly likely that I would have to give in at some point. Again the CTG monitoring showed that everything was fine but I agreed to go in the next day for my bloods to be taken in case the caesarean was necessary. Although I was more prepared for it, I couldn't understand how my body could grow this baby, keep her nourished for 9 months and then just abandon her and me when it was time to be born.
That very night I woke at 4am with contractions that felt 'different' to the Braxton hicks I'd been having for weeks so I called the midwife, Andy, and she arrived an hour later. I wasn't in any pain at all but had been preparing for this for months using natal hypnotherapy so didn't really expect to be. There was about an hour where the contractions were really intense but at no time painful and our daughter was born two and a half hours later (bum first) at 7:30. Andy said it was the quickest birth she'd ever seen, so quick that Viv, the second midwife missed it. I was glad I called Andy when I did. I used only a TENS machine and natal hypnotherapy techniques and our beautiful breech baby daughter, Amália Rose, was born calmly and peacefully in our bedroom. Her birthday is 7th October 2012, 17 days past the due date. I couldn't have hoped for a better outcome, I am so glad that I trusted my instincts and my baby and that i had the support of such wonderful midwives. I will treasure that moment forever.
more birth stories